Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Amarok without panels and trays

What's the use of “desktop” ornamentation like panels and trays? Time of day, CPU load, WiFi status — I can't think of anything I would like to see every moment I spend at the keyboard. If I want to know what's the time, I press 'M-z a'. So, panels and trays do not occupy a single pixel on my display.

Some programs, though, have a strange habit of closing their main window and leaving only a small icon in the tray. And there's no other way to control them besides grabbing the mouse and clicking, clicking, clicking... In some cases, though, you can leave your mouse in the dust. Amarok is one of such cases. I was perplexed when I saw Amarok in the list of processes, but there was no main window anywhere. Unfortunately, Amarok uses one of those recent abominations that appeared in Linux, DBus. To show the main window, send a signal using `qdbus':

$ qdbus org.kde.amarok /amarok/MainWindow org.kde.amarok.MainWindow.showHide

No comments:

Post a Comment